The 2008 Sea-To-Sea Bike tour: 219 cyclists. 6246 km. 3881 miles. 62 days. The largest cross-continental bike tour ever.
Starting in Seattle on June 28, and ending in Jersey City on Aug 30.

Why? This is all about raising awareness and raising money to help fight the root causes of global poverty.

Friday, September 5, 2008

Now What? (Wrapping Up)

It seems, from reading other blogs, that several folks are dealing a bit with the "now what", that naturally comes after such a large event in one's life. I was "only" on the tour for 2 weeks, and even so I have felt a bit of "disconnectedness" over the past few days post-tour. I can only imagine how that might feel for some of my fellow adventurers who were on the tour for the full 9 weeks.

Have you ever had a vacation where afterwards you can't believe how fast it went? That did not happen for me this time. Those two weeks were so packed, so full, so strenuous, so exciting... that to me it seems to have been far longer than just two weeks.

My own "now what" will probably take some time to answer, as I see what God has in store. However, in the short term I know that it involves:
  1. Starting a new job on Monday (Sep 8).
  2. Putting together a scrapbook of my adventure. I'm currently looking into using blurb.com to create a photobook/scrapbook from this blog, plus some extra bits. They offer a service of having personal books professionally printed and bound.
  3. Getting going on a few woodworking projects that have a short deadline. I write woodworking project articles for Canadian Home Workshop magazine a few times per year, which I quite enjoy.
I think that keeping busy should help with the transition back to "normal" life.

And like others, I think that brings me to the end of this blog. It has been fun sharing my journey, but the time has come now to wrap it up.

If any fellow riders ever need to look me up, I suggest either Googling "Art Mulder" -- which currently returns my woodworking web page as the top hit, or leave a comment here, as those will get emailed to me.

blessings
Art Mulder,
London, Ontario

ps: YES, I'd do it again.
(But the kids need to grow up more before I could consider doing an entire 9 week tour.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You may want to update your web page at Robarts. Like maybe delete it?

Congrats on the new job. Did you tell the AERs about it? I don't remember. They know, now. ;D

Congrats on finishing the ride. Thanks for posting about it!

Gregg